It seems like every day there are more and more paranormal/ghost hunting groups that pop up. This means, horrifyingly, that there are more and more groups out there using TV shows as their paranormal bible. I’ve been noticing some patterns and thought it’d be funny to come up with a list of warning signs. If more than two of these apply to your group, either change your methods or accept the fact you are, almost quite literally, one in a million.
I wanted to do a nice even 10 points, but I ended up turning it up to 11, as they say. Enjoy!
You may be a Ghost Hunters copycat if:
- You buy all your equipment based on what Ghost Hunters has – when they get some new experimental equipment, you pick it up also. (How many of us had KII meters before they came out on Ghost Hunters?)
- Your group’s logo is in yellow stencil font.
- Your vehicle has a large magnet with your group’s name on it that you use when you go to investigations.
- You have ever uttered the phrase “on to the next.”
- You have paid an excessive amount of money to meet/investigate with anyone on the cast, past or present.
- You list your occupation on Facebook as being in a paranormal group.
- You happily pay to investigate a location that Ghost Hunters has filmed an episode at (I can’t even say they “investigated”). For those who don’t know – these locations will charge anywhere from $300-$1000 (and sometimes even more) for overnight investigations.
- You react to every little sound with “What was that?” in a frenzied whisper, followed by “Oh my God…”
- You actively try to get your own TV show despite claiming to not be in it for the fame.
- You defend all Ghost Hunters practices and “evidence” and put down other similar shows in the same breath.
- You are convinced your group is the best paranormal group in the world and that you have all the answers.
The overarching themes are: if you spend too much money on your paranormal group and if you can’t think independently (you’re incapable of doing anything unless Ghost Hunters has done it first), then, well…..you might be a Ghost Hunters copycat.