In one of those “Damn, I already have a job!” moments of life, I have been alerted to the following job posting on (where else) Craig’s List. For all of my friends out there who say there are no jobs, I say you’re simply not looking hard enough. Behold, an apparently paid Bigfoot research position.
Actual Craig’s List posting:
Research Assistant (Whitehall – north country)
Date: 2012-08-22, 10:28AM EDT
title: Research Assistant — Cryptozoology
Req ID: 3466A2QZ
Job category: Research & Scientific & Nature
Sub-category: Research, Tracking, Documenting
Countries (State/Region): United States — New York, Adirondack Region
Not for profit organization, located in Whitehall, NY is a high-energy, team-oriented research entity that is involved in the tracking, documenting, and study of cryptozoological creatures, with a deep interest in the study and search of bipedal primitive apes.
We seek an experienced researcher with a deep understanding of crypto zoology, primatology, with a good background with scientific research and interest in great apes. The ideal candidate must be able to work both autonomously and as part of a large team. The individual must also be able to solve problems creatively, communicate effectively, and collaborate well with project leaders and team members.
Duties and Functions:
• Develop actionable tracking program in designated geographic area.
• Investigate, document and interview individuals with reported Bigfoot sitings.
• Occasional travel to remote areas of Adirondacks including spending several nights in the wilderness, checking motion cameras, collecting hair and dung samples for laboratory analysis amongst other related activites.
• Must have own transportation, four-wheel drive a plus.
** Serious Inquiries only **
Compensation: based on experience, this is a grant funded position and is expected to last 6 months with the possibility of renewal.
- Location: Whitehall – north country
- Compensation: based on experience
- This is at a non-profit organization.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don’t contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
I must admit, I’m curious about the “Compensation based on experience” part. Honestly, the whole thing sounds way too good to be true, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it turned out to be someone’s idea of a joke. But if this is true, then kudos to whomever gave these guys the grant. Whitehall is well-known for being a hotspot for Bigfoot sightings, and if I weren’t working right now, I might be looking into cheap 4-wheel drive vehicles.